InstagramFollow on Bloglovin Follow on Bloglovin

Total Pageviews

Follow Me

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Giveway Charity Challenge For Joplin Tornado Relief and St. John's Hospital

Are you up for a Challenge?  I hope so and am counting on a lot of traffic for this very good charitable Challenge.  Joplin, Missouri was hit by a tornado on May 22nd and destroyed over 1/2 of the town and St. John's Hospital took a direct hit.  Rebuilding will be slow but they are tough southern Missourians and will get their lives back soon.  The great thing about living in Missouri is that we are a state of many small and rural communities and we all step forward to help each other out.

Being a nurse, of course the health of the community and surrounding areas is of my greatest concern.  Here is a small excerpt from a news release that I hope you will read in its entirety here:

St. John's Hospital Before, During and the aftermath.
"For the watching world, the image of the hollowed shell of St. John’s was ground zero. For 115 years, the hospital system created by the Catholic order of the Sisters of Mercy healed the community’s illnesses and injuries. In seconds, the nine-story symbol of the city’s strength and caring, built and expanded since 1968, would stand gravely injured itself."

I still weep every time I read this. We are some courageous folks here in Missouri.  And being me and if you knew me you would know that I don't stutter when I want something, I just put it out there and hope everyone see's the need and joins in to help.

My quilting circle "The Glory Bee's" have challenged ourselves to make 100 flannel nursery receiving blankets, 100 knit "birth hats", 100 pair of knit or flannel "baby fist gloves" and 100 baby quilts to be given to the new baby upon discharge from hospital . We are already working our fingers fast and furious, sewing machines rattle day and night in my basement.  Wish you were here to join in. But you are not, therefore...............
I CHALLENGE you to do one or more of the following.....

1:  Donate $10 to the Red Cross of the Ozarks  http://www.redcross-ozarks.org/donate/
and email a copy of your receipt to me Jeanne Gwin   One Entry for every $10 donated

2:  Commit to making one (non-flammable) flannel nursery receiving blanket and mail to me to be donated to St. John's Hospital Baby Unit upon rebuilding and reopening.  For every blanket made you get an additional entry into the giveaway. (If you can't make the blanket, send me the flannel and I will make it and tag it with your name)    Leave a comment for each blanket.   One Entry for each flannel blanket  (30 x 30 with finished edges is a good size)

3:  Commit to making a knit newborn hat and mail to me to be donated to St. John's Hospital Baby Unit upon rebuilding and reopening.  For every hat you make you will get an additional entry. (If you are unable to make the hat, send me the fabric and I will and tag it with your name)  Leave a comment for each hat you make.  One entry for every hat you make   (Here is a link to a great tutorial if you need it)    Knit Newborn Hat

4:  Commit to making  5 sets of knit or flannel "baby fist gloves" and mail to me to be donated to St. John's Hospital Baby Unit upon rebuilding and reopening.  Leave a comment for each 5 sets.   One entry for every 5 sets of "gloves" you make

5:  Commit to making a baby quilt to be given to the new babies upon discharge. Send to me and I will deliver with the rest of the goodies. Leave a comment for each quilt made. Five entries for each baby quilt

6) If you want to follow me on my blog The Learning Curve or twitter @jeannegwin each is an additional entry. Follow any or all of the sponsors and get an extra entry for each follow.  Just leave a comment that you have.

Sponsors: 
Wild Olive   $25.00 in store gift certificate
Sis Boom     10 yards of Jennifer's beautiful fabric (Jennifer Paganelli)
Cinderberry Stitches  A signed copy of Natalie Lymer's NEW BOOK "Cotton Floss"
Machine Quilting Unlimited Magazine One Yr Subscription
TulaPink   5 - Tula Pink Designed Quilt Patterns
TulaPink   5 - Tula Pink Designed Quilt Patterns
Set of 8 Laser Cut Quilt Blocks, Kaleidoscope
Set of 12 Machine Embroidered Snowflake Quilt Blocks
Set of 18 Laser Cut Quilt Blocks Pinwheels in the Park
Quilt Journal
Moda Charm Pack  "Louisa"                
More goodies to be added every few days.  I need to go shopping :).

The Charity Challenge starts today June 19th at 6:00 pm CST and will end July 8th at 6:00 pm. Will have Random Org. do the drawing July 9th and I will notify you via email  You then have 48 hours to respond or I will redraw for another entrant. I know 3 weeks is a long giveaway but you need time to sew and get the items to me.  You all will never know how much your participation means to me.  Thank you so much!

Clarification Post

I need to be a little more clear on sizes etc. here.  I think a 30 x 30 flannel nursery blanket is about right, with finished edges (single fabric)  and the baby quilts I don't know for sure, we all make different sizes. I am going to leave it to you what you choose to do.  OMGosh friends, my mailbox is overflowing with commitments.  My heart is huge right now with love for all of you!!!!

Disclosure:                
What I am challenging you to benefits me in no way. I will not receive money or kickback, just a warm fuzzy feeling in my heart.  Everything is in the hands of the Red Cross of the Ozarks and the Sponsors who have jumped in to make this a little fun with some great giveaways. I am only going to be receiving the blankets, hats, quilts and gloves to be delivered. Please, I implore you to help out this great cause.  Thanks, Jeanne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Come on in and sit a spell. I am always up for company. Leave a note to let me know you were here. PS: Coffee pot is on