InstagramFollow on Bloglovin Follow on Bloglovin

Total Pageviews

Follow Me

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Day Before and Other News


Alrighty then, here we are the day before IMQA (International Machine Quilters Association) being held at the Overland Park Convention Center, (this is one huge building and I can say with pride, my husbands hands have touched many of the bathroom fixtures in the building. No, OMG NO, he is not some perverted fool, he was a union plumber back when they built it and he was the lead plumber.  He would probably crown me if he knew I was telling about him touching all the potties, but I am proud of him.

If any of you that are going to be in KC for the next two weeks, some places of interest:

The Kansas City Garment District:  Located in Downtown Kansas City, Missouri to the east of Quality Hill, across Broadway Boulevard. In the 1930s several large clothing manufacturers clustered here, making Kansas City's garment district second only to New York City's in size. Today, this heritage is commemorated by an oversize needle and thread monument. Its old industrial buildings have since been redeveloped into loft apartments, offices, and restaurants. Henry Perry, father of Kansas City-style barbecue got his start in 1908 from a stand in an alley in the neighborhood. Don't miss the amazing  Kansas City Garment District Museum 
Image taken from the website

801 Broadway
Kansas City, MO 64105
Neighborhoods: Central Business District, Greater Downtown
(816) 474-2112
Hours:  Friday 10am-3pm or Private Tours  913-205-8520.

Here is a list of the boutiques and a link to Brands you can find while shopping  the

1350 Main Street, Kansas City, MO 64105                              
Phone:   816 221 4387
Email:  Kansas City Garment District Events
Hours:  Monday-Thursday 11am-5pm
             Friday                    10am-7pm
             Saturday                10am-6pm 
             Sunday                  12pm-4pm 

That the Garment District is located in the Kansas City Power and Light District is just a bonus for you.  Kansas City Power and Light District is the "Place To Rock" in Kansas City.  Offering over a half million square feet and covering 8 blocks,  the Kansas City Power and Light District is the mid-west's premiere entertainment epicenter. With more then 50 unique and captivating shops, restaurants, bars and entertainment venues, "the district" offers something for everyone. Here is a link to a calendar of events and so much more.  Check it out online if you can't make it there, but I really think you should try.  I'll go with you!! 
Twitter: KCPLDistrict       Facebook:  KCPowerLightDistrict

Kansas City's  Historic City Market
A Kansas City Tradition
Since its inception in 1857, the City Market continues to be one of the largest and most enduring public farmers' markets in the Midwest, linking growers and small businesses to the Kansas City community. In addition, there are more than 40 full-time tenants that are open year round offering an eclectic mix of dining, shopping, entertainment and attractions. Join us and be a part of a 150-year tradition. This is one of the places we frequent on Sunday and it is amazing each time we go!!

City Market
20 E. 5th Street, Suite 201, Kansas City, MO 64106
P: 816-842-1271 F: 816-471-6168 

And just because I am so proud of the man I married, some more of his very special work

The Firefighter's Fountain 
Kansas City Firefighter's Fountain
500-596 W 31st St
Kansas City, Missouri 64111

On November 29, 1988, the fire department was struck with another tragedy when an ammonium nitrate explosion killed six fire fighters. The memorial service at Arrowhead Stadium received over 5,000 fire fighters in attendance from the United States and around the world. As a result of this tragedy, a hazardous materials team was created and named HazMat 71 in honor of the companies, Pumpers 30 and 41, that lost men in the explosion.
In 1991, the Firefighters Fountain was dedicated at 31st Street and Broadway in Penn Valley Park to all firefighters who have fallen in the line of duty throughout the city’s history.    

If my memory serves me right, all the labor forces in Kansas City volunteered material and hours to build this magnificent fountain. My Steve did the final plumbing on this fountain and he holds it very dear to his heart.
 And last but not least
I give you
The Darth Vader Building 
(named such as it is all black glass and resembles Vader's mask)
Overland Park, Kansas
and
Tomorrow I will be here
 I have yet to map out my plan of action.  I wish I had someone to muscle around everything I want to take.  If I could take a pack mule, literally, I would.  He/she could carry my purse, my bags, my laptop, my cameras, and me if I got tired.  And don't forget, bottles of water, a diet coke, mints to keep the mouth fresh, you know all those very much needed things.  Since I am new to all of this, I really am not sure what I am doing LOL,  but I'll betcha I come out unscathed albeit tired when it is over with and then, zoom, it is over to Spring Market at Bartel Hall.

I hope you enjoyed
Jeanne









            


















































































































































































































          


























































































































2 comments:

  1. WoW! Lots of great information! Sounds like there are tons of great places to see and visit. I think it's great that you are proud of Steve and the projects that he has worked on. That's how it should be. Have a great time and I can't wait to hear about what you've seen and done at IMQA and Market. Since pack mules probably aren't allowed inside, I hope you can use a bag with wheels or something similiar to hold all your goodies. Have a great time! Pictures please. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun post. Makes me think of 1985 when I would have given anything to get to Kansas City and watch the Royals. John and I had just started dating, and I fell in love with his favorite team while I was falling for him. He got two tickets to the 6th game...and took his brother-in-law. Can you believe it?

    If I ever get there, I will definitely go see Steve's fountain. I agree with Jodi--it's great to see how proud you are of him and his contributions. My grandfather was a member of the operating engineers, and when we were kids we were always so proud to see "Grandpa's building" or "Grandpa's bridge" when we were driving around L.A.

    Have fun at Market and tell us all about it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Come on in and sit a spell. I am always up for company. Leave a note to let me know you were here. PS: Coffee pot is on